Our wood countertops bring a natural New England warmth to any kitchen. The beautiful and calming color of wood compliments any color scheme. Butcher Block Countertops are durable, easy to clean and safe. Their greatest benefit is the ability to be refinished, allowing the countertop to look new forever at nearly no expense to the homeowner.
Block Care Instruction THE AVERAGE PERSON CAN LENGTHEN THE LIFE OF A MEAT BLOCK 5-10 YEARS THROUGH OBSERVING THE FOLLOWING RULES IN ITS CARE.
1. Periodically (once every several weeks, depending upon the use and household conditions), apply an even coat of mineral oil or Boos Mystery Oil to the work surface of your butcher block. Sponge on with a rag!
2. DO NOT allow moisture of any type to stand on the block for long periods of time. Don’t let fresh, wet meats lay on the block longer than necessary. Brine, water and blood contain much moisture, which soaks into the wood, causing the block to expand, the wood to soften, and affects the strength, of the glued joints.
3. Use a good steel scraper or spatula several times a day, as necessary, to keep the cutting surface clean and sanitary. Do not use a steel brush on the cutting surface of your block.
4. DO NOT cut fish or fowl on the work surface of your butcher block, unless you have thoroughly followed the instructions in step #1…as the moisture barrier must be intact prior to cutting any type of fish, seafood, or fowl on the work surface of your butcher block. ALWAYS CLEAN THE BLOCK THOROUGHLY AFTER CUTTING FISH OR FOWL ON THE WORK SURFACE.
5. Be sure NEVER to cut continuously in the same place on the top of your block. Distribute your cutting over the entire work surface so that it will wear evenly. DON’T use a razor-edged cleaver. It will chip or splinter the wood and produce soft spots. Your cleaver should have dull sharpened edge for best results.
6. NEVER wash your block with harsh detergents of any type. DON’T wash your butcher’s tools on your block.
7. At the conclusion of a day’s work preparing meat or food on your butcher block, scraping the block will remove 75% of the moisture. After scraping, immediately dry thoroughly with an absorbent towel. This assures an odorless, clean cutting surface for the next day, and prevents premature quick deterioration of the work surface.
8. Maintain the same bevel on the edge of your block, as it had when you bought it. This prevents splitting or chipping of outside boards. 9. Your block, should be turned over periodically to allow even usage to both work surfaces. Note: Butcher Block cutting boards are not dishwasher compatible.